Sunday, January 6, 2008

All coming together.....

Well, I have to say, today is really the first truly, overarchingly, relaxing day i've had since I arrived here. Yesterday I spent 5 (yes five) hours at a car dealer and have come away with my first ever new car (gulp, gasp, NEW, I feel like a grown-up....I also feel like i'm going to be paying for it for the rest of my life...), and today the morning started with confirmation I will now be living in a basement studio (aka Grodnick) belonging to friends Les and Alison. It's a shoebox, but one with at least a separate kitchen to cook in, is bright and airy, and is in a great QUIET part of the city (no traffic noise, V. close to UH too), so that has made me very happy and much more relaxed about being here. I move in on the 20th.

So in 6 days, I have:-

- Gone kayaking on New Years day
- Started a new job.......my first 'real' job
- Set up my new office
- Unpacked 1/3 of the boxes I shipped out here
- Investigated and signed up to use the histology lab, TEM and SEM facilties
- Unpacked all my samples
- Got a car (a new car.......gulp)
- Named the car "Beach Belle" (to those who remember my Isuzu 'Belle Star' you will know why)
- Put a roof rack on the car
- Found a place to live

Not bad for 6 days if you ask me. It might well be time right now to head to the beach. That is if I can pluck up the energy and peel myself off the couch.....










The Beach Belle. A 2008 Mazda 3. Showing off her new roof racks in the last photo. Still in disbelief I actually ended up with a new car.....but I have to say, I LOVE it.......

3 comments:

Nicola said...

damn, girl. can you come back and work some of that productive magic on me? love the car choice and great going on the rest!

RGW said...

Isn't she cute!

31mpg, small and compact, fun to drive, really comfy, easy to get the kayak up on the roof........I really love it......as scary as the words "new car" are to me.

Basement apartment is certainly going to be compact, but thats probably good for me right now, help me 'prioritise my junk'.....:0)

Anonymous said...

New cars are easier on the environment - fewer nasty emissions - so don't feel too guilty.