Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Weekend!

The moonrise on my walk home tonight. At a balmy -4F.

I officially started working in the paleo lab today (this week i've been optimizing PCR primers in Carney's lab, to save on costs - if I did it in the clean lab it would be horrendously expensive, and I just need to figure out the program to run when I get to the clean lab). It's been an interesting, if not as lab productive as wanted, week. I'd had some +ve control DNA sent from Hawaii to Thunder Bay on tuesday when I realised I was (really) short on it here. It was sent overnight fedex. Well, it's friday, and no DNA. It went to Toronto, then Memphis, then Toronto, then Memphis, then Toronto again, then sat, then finally cleared customs, and then got stuck in a snowstorm enroute. So no DNA. And Fedex is closed tomorrow so I can't even get it over the weekend. Sucks, to say the least, and has held up things here (I ran out of what I had on Weds evening).

So little more to do than go skiing and enjoy the snow! Well, that's not entirely true, I did manage to optimize two primer sets, so will be in the clean lab running those on my fossil DNA this weekend. But tomorrow little Sammy and I shall be going skiing for a couple of hours (we're both at the same level!) and then sunday I have an indoor 10K and Kim and I will do a little snowshoeing in the afternoon I hope. So a fun, and hopefully productive, weekend ahead. I also sent out my first proposal draft to my collaborators today. Wasn't in as good a shape as I wanted it to be before I sent it out, but time is ticking. So I also need to spend a good few hours a day on that over the weekend too.

Hope you all have a good one!

2 comments:

Nicola said...

oh my goodness. i am so envious. not of the -4F but of the skiing! (2 more weeks until we go!)
have fun!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Cherry B said...

Wow-- what beautiful scenery! I'm not jealous of the snow (it's snowing here today and in the teens-- I'd rather be seeing it on TV!) but I do miss the islands :)