Friday, June 4, 2010

Iceland here I come....

Wowsers, what a week. And in a few hours i'm out of here, off to Iceland until the 15th June. It's the Deep Sea Biology Conference, one of my favorite conferences to attend, and luckily I got a great travel award to be able to go. It's so expensive though, the award barely covered my flight and registration, so it's hostel time for me this next week! Haven't done the dorm style travel in a while, and it's hard to do when you're going to a conference and having to look nice, but it's all I could afford on this one, so it'll be an adventure. Because I needed cheaper flight I don't fly back until the next monday either (it takes two days to get there, and get back - ouch! Overnighting in Seattle both ways), so that rather nicely means I have the weekend to hopefully see some of Iceland!

No pictures this week i'm afraid, it's been a busy one just trying to get paperwork together and all my bits and pieces for this conference. I'll take some in Iceland I promise. Next Saturday a friend and I are going diving in the Sifra Rift, and are totally excited about it. I need dry suit experience to go diving on a project I have in Alaska later this year, so took my course while on the Cape. But we could only squeeze in two dives, and I really need more to dive with this Alaskan group. The guy I was diving with on the Cape mentioned Iceland, as he knew I was going, and I am so glad he did, this looks awesome! So that's my birthday treat from myself to myself, and it means more chance of me being allowed to dive with deep-sea corals in Alaska - woo hoo!

Okay, i'm off - take care out there!

3 comments:

kmw said...

Have a great trip and take lots of photos! DW

Nicola said...

Goodness, Rhian. My head is spinning with all your travel. Thinking of you a lot. My friend Tracy is in town and Bella has been telling her about "my Rhian is in Hawaii."
Nicola

RGW said...

Now that is darn cute.....:0)