Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A great day!

Three little coral polyps, all the way from Alaska...:0)

Today was one of those days that makes me love what I do. There are so many low sides to science, it's great to have a day that just makes me excited in science. The Alaska samples have been exciting from day 1, but today I got to put them into the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and take a closer look. Initially I was kind of bummed, because the preservation wasn't great, they've all cracked up and didn't dry as well as I would like them. But after looking at several samples I found a bunch of new things - eggs, larvae and even a specialized structure to house those larvae, something that hasn't been described before. I love a puzzle and these corals are certainly that, some exciting things are going to come out of this project!

On top of that I also had a paper accepted for publication, swopped my half of a -80C freezer for a microscope and some supplies (instead of losing it totally to an ass in the department trying to screw me out of it), got two new pieces of equipment delivered and actually got into my own lab for an hour this morning.

Probably sad I know, but this definitely counts as a great day!

1 comment:

DDdd said...

Sounds like a good day to me!! New research finding, paper accepted.. can't be too sad. Then again, I'm a giant nerd too. :-)