Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Three Things Thursday!

Practicing pre-sledding using our trawl sorting tubs....


I've had a rough few days with just way too much on my plate right now. I really needed a pick-me-up, and I got one, in the form of a very nice dive this morning and my teaching evaluations from my undergraduate course in Hawaii!

I look forward to these evaluations, mostly because some of them are usually pretty funny, but also because I do WANT to be a better teacher, so it's important for me to see what the students think. I'm not teaching here in Maine for the short term, but probably in a few years, so it's good to get feedback and have some time to evaluate.

It was definitely a more interested group this year than last, which made it nicer to teach, but I have to say, I wasn't prepared for just how NICE the evaluations I got were. Literally, other than the usual smattering of "go slower", "material too hard", "material too easy", "turn up the lights" comments, there was nothing major.

So for my 3 Things Thursday, I thought i'd give out a selection of my favorite comments.......more than three, but i'm going to group them....:0) Bare in mind, all spelling, capitalization etc. is true to the students comments (which we get typed up and anonymously).

1. The Good - "Biology of the deep-ocean was pretty sick", "have Waller make the slides for Measures and DeCarlo, haha", "it was awesome. No improvement necessary", "SHES VERY NICE ☺", "AWESOMENESS! Love your teaching!", "★★★★★", "A++, so interested in her subject and loves what she does", "thank you for reminding me why I want to be a marine biologist...:0)"

2. The Bad - "Exam hard as FOOOK", "STArT AT A HigHer LeveL of Bio, To RudimenTary iN Beginning", "Sweet Lady, put effort into presentations" (that one made me laugh out loud...:0),

3. The Slightly Bizarre - "Thank God it wasn't all Whales and Dolphins!", "★+✿=♥",

And one of my personal favorites for an Oceanography course - Which aspects of the course did you like the best? "The underwater portion"

That one's obviously going to grad school....:0)

2 comments:

Nicola said...

LOL!
Nicola

BSA said...

Echoing Nicola and LOL! I am amused with the spelling!