Thursday, December 20, 2007

Golden Gate, Muir Woods and Sausalito

Yesterday we did a tourist day. Originally the plan was to go into San Fran for a wander around, but the weather was so nice we decided to go up to Muir Woods instead - good call Stian! My beloved sherpa drove me over the Golden Gate Bridge, stopped to take photos and walk a little on the bridge, then on to see the giant redwoods. This was the one place i wanted to go this December and I have to say, although most of the trails were closed, it did not dissapoint.

Though less than an hour away from SF, to be amongst the giant trees, the smell of the outdoors and more than anything else just the quiet (i'd forgotten how much noisier living in a city is.....guess I'll just have to get used to that one in Honolulu huh....) was just amazing. To look at the giant Coastal Redwoods that have been standing many tens of feet high since way before my great grandparents were born puts a perspective on life and is really the crux of why I love the outdoors and really need those visits often.

I usually spend my time running around in the car, many hours reading and writing email, talking on the phone, getting stressed about running late, missing appointments, getting the latest gadget or not making enough money. Yet amongst those giant trees it reminded me that slowing down is not the end of life and that you really don't need all those things to survive. Here is a tree that has lived in the same way for a thousand years, going at the same pace, no new fangled way to take up those nutrients, just the same pace of life that it's parents had and in fact since time began. Not that I don't appreciate progress, I just feel sometimes that we've gone on way too far out the other end and need to start migrating back to a simpler, and so hopefully longer and happier, life. Thats my plan anyway.




The Golden Gate Bridge, my first "real" sighting, as every other time i've been to SF, it's always been obscured by fog....










Stian was trying to teach me the finer points of taking the self portrate.......well I still chopped the top off the Golden Gate.....













On the bridge...













In the trees.......ever the scientist....Stian for scale.....

No comments: