Monday, February 8, 2010

Flying by..

My time is certainly flying by here. It's been a busy time since I last posted. I managed to catch a killer cold, lost my voice for 4 days and sounded like something out of a horror movie for a good chunk of time too and finally feel a bit more human today. Work has been busy, things at the lab are going great, should have my first set of sequences tomorrow, so we'll see what those bands are all about!

Other work things have not been going so well, the proposal I was writing has fallen through, a major player flaked on me, and now it's not going to go in. I feel like this is a real blow to me, I really needed something in this round. And I've been screwed over on a couple of other exciting projects, so i'm just feeling more than a little taken advantage of right now. It's so hard when I invest time and energy into things that don't pan out. All par for the course being 100% research grant funded, but doesn't make it any easier. I need to be better at saying no to things in the first place, then I wouldn't be in this position so much, so it's at least partly my own doing too.

For the funner side of this weekend, the Mathesons and I went ice skating on saturday morning, which was an absolute blast, and then we went skiing on sunday morning, which was also good. I've emigrated off the bunny slopes and onto a blue and even onto a green, and no major wipewouts (yes, a few minor ones, and a complete halt at one point....). So that's a little up in my world right now. Also, next Monday - Weds, we are all off to Lutsen, a ski resort just across the border in the US, so i'm really looking forward to that. Two days of un-interupted skiing, friends and fun!

2 comments:

Cherry B said...

It sounds as if there's a bit of positivity to balance out your down sides. I'll send you good vibes so that there's more on the side that makes you happy than bums you out :)

Nicola said...

have a good time, rhian.
i am so sorry about the flakes. you really needed that.
so what now with everything?