Thursday, May 13, 2010

Visit to the Darling

I'm on day 4 of the 4 day interview, and it's been a whirlwind. No day has been overly busy with meetings, but it's just been chock full of meeting new people, seeing the labs and space and just getting to know the area. It's a beautiful area, even though i'm on interview, just being in a setting like this puts me at ease. I don't know how it's going, I think well, but I also don't want to get my hopes up. It's a position I would like, but the funding is so unknown I don't know if it's something I could take even if offered. We'll just have to see.

Tomorrow i'm driving up to Kate's house, and then on Saturday we're driving to Canada, for the work visa interview portion of this trip!

The lower campus of the Darling Marine Center, as seen from the dock. There are just 8 researchers in residence here, so it's a wonderfully small group of great scientists.

The upper campus (a ten minute walk up a dirt road), this is the building I am staying in. Upper campus is primarily admin buildings, with a couple of labs.

The center has 150 acres to it's name, and in it lots of trails and tracks, and even a cemetery in the woods! It's been a little wet and chilly, but I did wander some of the trails on sunday when I arrived, and saw some beautiful old stone fences.

Bench mark by the sea.

One of the schools research vessels.

Now that, is a bird house!

1 comment:

Nicola said...

Wow. Absolutely beautiful setting. I hope you get it!