Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Riley dog...

The Riley dog arrived into Dan and CLs life around the same time I landed in Woods Hole and we were instant pals. Otherwise known as the "ADD dog", "riley boy", "part-time pup" and sometimes just "bad dog", Riley soon became an often seen fixture around my office and house, making my various lodgings his second home, with always a full bowl of treats and bones. Riley is a rescue dog, part golden retriever, part who knows what, but whatever it is, it's a wonderful mix! Riley often hears the words "what kind of dog is that!" from strangers, with many weird and wacky combinations thrown out there. If people ask me, he's a mutley, the best kind of dog...

I arrived in the Hole to start my postdoc amidst very sad times, and Riley (like so many of my great friends here) has been such a large part of my recovery (and therapy) from that, and such a large part of my Woods Hole life that I will sorely miss his over-exuberant hellos, his fuzzy hugs and general goofiness. Riley has always been there, whether I am happy or sad he's always pleased to see me and always makes me laugh, you can't beat that in a friend, human or no. How do you say goodbye to someone who really doesn't understand the word "goodbye"? Will he always run into my old office to see me? Will he still chase after my old car all the way around the WHOI ringroad? When I do come back to visit, will he remember who I am???

Last night I had Riley for what may be his final sleepover at Aunt Rhians, and it made me very sad to start saying my goodbyes to him. To many it may seem like I am anthropomorphising the Riley dog, but to all who have met him they know he has an abundant personality that though is not human, is as good a friend as you could ever wish for. I'm still trying to get Dan and Cl to post Riley out to Hawaii now and then, maybe even do an exchange in San Francisco - thats about half way isn't it??

So here is to Riley, and some of my favourite photos.




- Photo by Dan & Cl on his first day. Such a cute puppy, though it was obvious from the start he was a "toy consumer"....






- A very young Riley, just trying to figure out the controls while I was gone.....







- Just not a morning dog, Riley would stay in bed while I got up, got tea, took a shower and got dressed.....just about the only time of day you could call Riley mellow.....or even close to mellow.....




- Riley and his friend Niko having a morning romp today






- His last sleepover. Riley curled on top of my feet on the couch. Cute boy.

1 comment:

Nicola said...

okay. that made me want to cry.