Friday, March 21, 2008

Back at the ranch....finally.....

A slight detour, though I have to say an extremely pleasant and fun one. After posting "delayed in LAX" the delay then became a cancellation (broken plane, replaced, then the pilot was over his fly time, no more pilots as many flights were canceled due to weather, yadda yadda) with the only seats to Hawaii being available on the 22nd, everything else was booked solid (overbooked in fact - WHY AIRLINES DO YOU OVERBOOK ON HOLIDAYS AND SPRING BREAK, WHY????), better yet there were also NO hotels (because of all the cancellations and overbooking), so it was kip on LAX floor time.

Luckily I was first in the queue for rebooking (saw that one coming a mile away and got in line quick). After being told the above option I said I was happy to transfer airports just get me to HI asap. The next alternative was a flight from San Francisco in 2 days (21st) as long as I ran to catch the plane to SFO that left in 30 minutes. Book it! As I ran a little phone call to Stian's parents and sister and a fleeting visit was hastily arranged - arrived in SF at 10.30pm, caught the train and was tucked up in bed at Nicola and Mike's by midnight. The 20th was hang out day, I got to spend some wonderful time with Lala, Finn, Nicola and Mike, saw Stian's parents in the morning, even got to meet Grandma A (who reads this blog - Hi Grandma A!) which was super nice. I couldn't have imagined a nicer travel delay - thanks so much to Super Uncle Stian's Super Family! I was pretty sad to leave this morning too, can I be delayed another day??

So I got on a flight out of SFO in a first class seat (fully reclining I'll have you know) and arrived in Honolulu at 11am this morning. Ahhhh. Grodnick is just how I left it and it's good to be home. Went into work this afternoon to catch up on mail and even managed to get into my new lab - and I have to say that almost put me to tears today - my first lab, it was more than a little overwhelming. I'll have to post photos because it really is a relic of the 60's - wonderful oranges and browns - but it's way bigger than I expected (actually probably double the size that I expected) and it's my FIRST lab........MY first lab.........wow. How did that happen??

Now I guess I have to get the $$ and students to fill it........

2 comments:

Nicola said...

loved seeing you. CONGRATS on the lab!

Anonymous said...

Oh, we are so very glad that you visited--even in my fragmented, demented, frantic state. You were an lovely island of sanity!

Welcome home!