Friday, January 18, 2008

It's friday.....

Ahhhhhhhhhh is all I can say. I've been here nearly three weeks, can hardly believe it. Today I got an account number for my start-up money - woo hoo! Now I can start to get all those things like an IP address, a photocopy number, a telephone........that is I can on tuesday, as i didn't have the number until all the secretaries had gone home and monday is a holiday........:0)

A comment from Dave on my previous post got me thinking. He asked me to show some pix of my science on here. Science. Of course! That is why I am here. So i've just looked through a bunch of pictures that reminded me why I love doing what I do. And that all the cr*p i've been through this week is worth it, because it means I get to keep doing what I love to do.......you probably didn't know you did it, but thanks for reminding me of that Dave! So here are a few pix from the deep - I don't have many here with me tonight, but i'll put a few more up in the coming weeks. Here is also a link to my podcast (scroll to Deep-Sea Corals), which has lots of cool pictures and video in..........but your not allowed to laugh.....esp at my mixed up UK-USA hybrid accent.....





I love this photo - it's a deepsea jellyfish that happened to get caught up on the lens of a camera we were dropping to the bottom - Deepstaria enigmatica









It's a deep-sea coral (~1000m) and it's purple.....we were meant for each other!







Today I also got a letter from Callie - thank you! So I thought I would post a picture of Calyfield - this is a hydrothermal vent on the Galapagos Rift, in 1679m of water, that I helped discover in 2002 on a cruise that took place just a few days after Callie was born. This is a picture taken out the window of DSV Alvin by either me, Tim (my pdoc advisor) or Phil the pilot. Pretty cool huh.




***If you wish to use these pictures for anything, please contact me and i'd be happy to help you***

1 comment:

kmw said...

Thanks so much for the post of the coral pictures. Loved them! Keep making new discoveries and sharing as we all love to learn more about this beautiful planet we call home. Dave