Friday, July 10, 2009

Good book suggestions?

Today marks 2 weeks before lift off and i'm not back until September 6th - wow! 

With my last few cruises I seem to have burned through what I thought was an enormous and never ending pile of books, and now have none in my collection I haven't read! Any suggestions out there? I suspect i'll get through 3-4 books on this trip, and am only in Canada where I know there must be books! But it's always good to get a few suggestions to pick up from the store quickly, as I haven't been paying attention recently as to what is out there at the moment! 

To give you an idea, at the moment I am re-reading "The Constant Gardener" and I have recently enjoyed The Kite Runner, Omnivores Dilemma and anything by Barbara Kingsolver. Though I liked the God of Small Things I didn't get on with the writing style so much and I usually intersperse fiction with non-fiction, though a good story relaxes me more than a non-fiction. 

Any suggestions on what you have enjoyed recently would be much appreciated! 

5 comments:

Nicola said...

i am envious of how many books you will get to read. i have small spurts of sneaking it in. and i guess i am a slow reader.

did you ever read eat, pray, love? i really enjoyed that book. stian read it, as did liz, who lent it to me to read after finnian's birth.

safe travels!

PleaseRecycle said...

I have (miraculously) had the chance to read a little bit lately- so I do have some suggestions. My favorite recent read is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

I just (today) finished reading a book called Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

Also enjoyed Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding (of Bridget Jones fame). Very lighthearted and funny.

Apparently, I am a fan of Brit Lit.

Just thought of one more: The Year of Past Things by M.A. Harper (a New Orleans ghost story of sorts).

So much reading time is a wonderful thing!!

kmk said...

My new favorite book is The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I also liked Eat, pray, love as nicola recommends. Ahh, reading books: one day I will get to do that again! (Well in more than 10 minute intervals that is)

RGW said...

Thanks guys! I'll look some of those up. I have read Eat, Pray Love, but to be honest, though it was okay, I didn't think it was great. For me, as much as she says in the beginning it wasn't about religion, I found it too religious, and I thought she came across as very pompous, which just kind of irritated me.

But, it's unusual I don't get something out of a book, even if it isn't re-read material, I do enjoy having enough time and energy to read a few books!

bsa said...

I love the Eat, Pray, Love comments and was going to suggest it when I saw your entry--then I see that Nicola and others already di so. I am just finishing it and am so very glad that I read it because i am at that point of growth and change in my life. Yet, as moved as i am by much of it, I do agree that she is definitely a bit pompous and somewhat self-centered. Still, I would recommend it.

I just finished Canyon Solitude: A Woman's Solo Journey Through the Grand Canyon by Patricia McCairen and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I echo Please recycle with recommending The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. it is a fairly fast read so don't make it your only selection.