Friday, March 20, 2009

Day one.....

Day one at home and I did something today I didn't expect to have to, I bought a new camera. This bites on more than one level as my old camera is only just over a year old, and I loved it and really liked the photos it produced. Yet, it is only working intermittently after it's salty-mud bath and the lens has salt crystals on, so a new camera was on the cards. Frustrating as I really wanted to get a digital SLR, but hadn't planned to for at least another year, so today was a bit of a compromise - a Canon SX10 - not an SLR, but larger and better zoom and functions than a regular point and shoot, as well as being in the same $$ range as a good point and shoot, rather than the SLR price range. 

Why so soon after getting back? Well, i'm off to visit the little lady Lucy (above) in 2 weeks and don't want to miss taking good photos of my little niece (isn't she adorable!), and want to have the time to test out the new camera and to make sure it all works before I go away. Pain in the butt, but I also used up 2 gift cards for Best Buy in the process, so it wasn't as bad on the bank balance as it could have been (and if not for the gift cards, I definitely would have come away with a lesser camera).

So I went and took a bunch of photos of the things I like to see and do when I get home from sea........still playing with the functions, but it definitely takes as good photos as my old Canon, and I love the zoom.....

Flowers........these bleeding heart vines are right outside my front door, and go from white and red to this beautiful pink/purple......



The mountains......

Making sun tea in my new glass jugs.....

My garden, though the picture of neglect right now, I love that I can grow a few things..........these are the papaya leaves.....

A good crunchy salad with lots of extras like bean sprouts, pineapple and bacon sausages, pumpkin seeds, cucumber and peppers.....

Fresh fresh fruit........pineapple is my favorite fruit, mixed in with some gorgeous smelling strawberries......

2 comments:

Nicola said...

i feel your technology purchase pain (am posting from mike's laptop, since our computer crashed), but that takes some nice photos! can't go wrong with a digital camera, i say. a need in our socio-economic neck or the world, i think.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Ditto to Nicola's comment. You have taken some wonderful photos! Am glad that you are on your way to meet Lucy!