Sunday, September 13, 2009

Weekend

I really needed this weekend to roll around, this week has been so busy and i've been fighting with a cold all week that, although not a bad one, is persistent and doesn't seem to want to go away. But I'm finally feeling like I am just about getting on top of the pile that is sitting on my desk, just about, still a couple of large things I need to do before I can breath again a little. And of course I need to start ramping up to teaching this undergrad course, bear that that is going to be.......

The weekend has been nice though, I've managed to sleep in on both mornings (and by sleep in I mean 7am, I so wish it would be later, but my body tells me that is a sleep in right now), yesterday I tidied my house (I need to do a good "fall clean"), went for a swim with Jenny and then a colleague at the university was having a wine tasting party (that I generally avoid, but it was good to catch up with people).

Today I need to go to Costco and I want to look at bikes at the bike store. I would like a road bike, but living up a hill am nervous about how much i'll use it so don't want to spend a fortune. I've been looking around craigslist here and haven't come up with anything, so want to stick my nose into the bike store and see what they have - it seems impossible to get a road bike cheap here (anywhere?), and I really don't want a mountain bike as I know that will be too heavy to lug up my hill everyday. I would really like to try a sprint triathlon next year, so having a bike is kind of a pre-requisite for that, and with my knees actually stronger from the running, i'm hoping they might be able to handle cycling again (which is again another unknown and a reason I don't want to spend a fortune). I also need to finish editing a paper today and send that off to New Zealand, would be great to have that one off my plate.

Another thing i've done today is to sign up for our local Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure event - a 5K race to raise money for breast cancer research and patient support. Breast cancer has recently hit two of my aunts and so it's a cause I like to support. It's also a good way to keep my running motivated. If you'd like to make a donation to this fabulous foundation, i've put a button up on the right where you can donate.

3 comments:

Nicola said...

how did you do bike shopping?
AWESOME about the race!
how is your infection? mine are clear now.

and about your comment on my blog...yep, finn is big. almost 2. can you believe that was 2 years ago, almost?

bsa said...

Wow! You are amazing! I am so pleased to hear that you are able to go swimming again. Thanks for sharing the Susn B Komen info--I'll check it out and send in support for you. My best wishes are with your aunts.

RGW said...

I am so happy to go swimming again too! They are pretty much healed, my armpit still looks a mess (scars everywhere!), and there is definitely still something hard in there (likely scar tissue), but i've been allowed to stop dressing it, and my skin is so thankful for that! Sooooooo glad to hear yours are clear now too Nicola!!!! May they never return!

Bike shopping went well, bought a bike, nothing fancy, but it has two wheels and is the basic model of a good make (Trek), Stian will be most amused i'm sure....:0) Couldn't get up my hill this evening and could definitely feel my knee even on a short 6 miler, but baby steps. Like running, it will probably take some time. I hope so. If not, because it's a good make, it has good resale....:0)

BSA - you are amazing! I know you (and Nicola) already give so much, please do not feel obliged. My aunts are doing well.