Wednesday, June 3, 2009

This weeks training

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 5 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 5 miles
Friday - rest
Saturday - head to Maui - hiking!
Sunday - Hiking!

Just got in from my 3 miles - in the rain! I'm glad it's cooled down a little, but rain, really?!? So, just ten days until 1/2 marathon! This week is manic too, I can't believe it's thursday tomorrow, that means these two proposals i've been working on have to be in in 2 days! Gulp! They're actually in pretty good shape, so i'm confident it'll work out. 

This week has been a stressful one salary wise too. I may have spoken too soon on the undergraduate teaching - "someone" complained that I was being offered salary to teach when a more senior person (who happens to be his wife) didn't get offered the teaching. Not that she either needs or wants it, but sometimes people just like to complain I guess. But it means that is up in the air, I was supposed to hear about it today, but have not. Yesterday I went and met with the Dean to talk about my future. As all Hawaii state employees are taking a pay hit to the tune of 14% (that includes the university), I wasn't hopeful that conversation would go well. Surprisingly it went way better than expected, no promises of anything and no definitive answers, but he was positive and said on several occasions he was confident we could work something out. So that was good, i'd feel better with something definite under my belt, but in this climate I guess that is the best I can get right now. My deadline to find salary to get my work visa renewed is September, so there is still some time, but it is weighing on me. 

And this weekend - it's off to Maui. I'm excited, it's going to be beautiful! I leave saturday morning, and come back tuesday evening. Three days of hiking and one night on the beach - yay! Just what the doctor ordered after proposal hell-week! 

4 comments:

Nicola said...

ugh on the job uncertainty, but fingers crossed for you. i am soooo envious of maui. oohhhhhh

PleaseRecycle said...

I'm glad to be out of that academic environment (at least for the moment) the stress of funding/publishing/funding is awful. Let me know if you need any help with editing...

kmw said...

Good luck with your final training for your race. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
DW

RGW said...

Wow.....I would be careful offering editing.....:0)