Saturday, October 3, 2009

Breadmaker dog cookie recipe

Today I thought I would bake some dog cookies for my pals Barkley and Goofey and was pulling out ingredients. I don't have a mixer and suddenly a lightbulb went off - why don't I get my breadmaker to do the hard work! I've never tried making dog cookies with yeast in them either, so did an internet search and came up with a recipe, which I heavily adjusted to make the below. I've learnt over the years not to be scared adjusting recipes for dog cookies (using dog-safe and healthy ingredients - low fat and no salt being the big ones) and when on the Cape used to save leftovers (meat juice, meat scraps, even veggies) to bake in cookies for Riley boy. Though todays didn't use any leftovers, it would be super simple to do.

To the breadmaker add -

- 2 cups warm chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (dry)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon yeast

Put the breadmaker on the dough setting and let it do its thing. Once done, roll out (add flour if a little sticky) and cut into shapes on a baking sheet - I personally like bones, but I don't think the dogs mind.


Bake for 45mins at 325F. Brush with egg or milk glaze and return to the oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Turn the oven off, crack open the door and leave the cookies to cool in the oven.

Once done, put in an airtight container and use liberally!

1 comment:

LSULiv said...

Ooooh! Once we get a dog these would be great!!! :)