Monday, September 29, 2008

Chondromalacia patella

My phrase for the day. Well last week when I walked in to work I started to have trouble in my "good" knee on the downhills again. So with more than a little trepidation I went to see an orthopedic today, still with fresh visions of my "bad" knee surgery 2 years ago that just took forever to right itself from. X-rays done and prepared to ignore what the surgeon said, I was delighted and highly relieved to have the above phrase spouted at me. 

It basically means my kneecap is not tracking properly, and she (my very nice orthopedic!) nailed it from my x-rays - it's only off by under a centimeter, but apparently enough to make downhill and crouching a real problem. Interestingly it's also in my "bad" knee, but not nearly as bad as my "good" knee (confused yet). The really excellent thing that made me smile was hearing that it's fixed by a few physio sessions to learn some specific exercises to build up my inner quads (to pull the kneecap back into position) and it should clear up almost immediately. Huge sigh of relief and big smile. 

Some interesting things i've learnt from the handout they gave me - 
- More common in women
- Seen more often in those that walk, stair and hill climb more often
- Onset can occur with prolonged periods of sitting (think airplane seats too many times this year), excessive bending and kneeling (think 3 cruises in a row with lots of kneeling on hard decks). 

Hmmmmm..........and it all makes sense as to why this came up this year.......just wish it hadn't been in time for Italy.....:0(

3 comments:

BookyG said...

I have this. Once my knee totally went out on a down-hill hike in Yosemite...and it took TWO YEARS to get back to "normal". I have to use poles for any downhill over 10minutes, and I find stretching my hamstrings is a tremendous help.

I sit on the floor against the wall with my legs straight in front of me trying to lift my heels a little bit in the air for three minutes. I should do it nightly, but I don't. It hurt really bad at first, now it feels good.

I'm never going to have great knees, but I also think I can avoid surgery and I can live a relatively active life.

RGW said...

It isn't torn cartillage and ligaments this time, so i'm stoked! I've never had it bother me before so i'm hoping it's just been my manic travel schedule this year and lack of exercise that flared it up. Need to book that physio appt......

Nicola said...

that is good news. relatively speaking!