Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Life Less Plastic


Check out this blog - Life Less Plastic - I just discovered it, but it's going on my reading list. 

My thoughts on plastic are mixed - yes there is just too much plastic discarded around this earth, and do we really need all the plastic toys and trinkets, but in some ways maybe it's a necessary evil. I'm a big devotee of not using disposable plastic bags (shopping, ziploc etc etc), and reducing my use of other plastic items, but i'm also not about to give up my computer, my phone, my car, medical things and all those plastic items vital to me. I also have much of my foodstuffs in plastic containers to keep out bugs and keep things fresh, the same with sandwiches and other lunch things (I absolutely won't use ziplocs for lunch). But I don't throw these away often - some of my foodstuff plastics have been with me since I lived in Southampton 6 years ago - and they have a long way to go. I look to buy glass storage jars regularly, but often they are either expensive, or shoddily made, and a glass jar thats not going to last a month (or the seal isn't going to keep things fresh) to me is less environmentally friendly that a plastic jar that lasts a decade (think recycling glass isn't carbon free either) and stops me throwing away food as often. But thats my thoughts. 

So plastic, i'll live with it, but i'll cut down on what I buy, be picky about the plastic I do buy and make it last as long as possible. 

1 comment:

Nicola said...

thanks for the link! S mentioned it too!