Monday, September 8, 2008

Echo Lake!

Feel like you're going backwards? Well I am! I realised I didn't ever post any photos or anything from Echo lake before we headed to Italy, so here are some photos. 

I had a great time at Echo, so beautiful and relaxing out there - cabin in the woods by the lake with no electricity and lots of early bedtimes! Stian and I stayed out in a tent behind the cabin and one morning I was woken up by a black bear padding my butt through the tent. It was an interesting way to wake up, the birds were being noisy so I assumed a bird had flown into the tent, turned over and had a bear staring over me (it was hot enough not to have the fly on the tent so we could see the stars). Moved pretty quick once I yelled and woke Stian up. He went back to sleep, I had a harder time.....so my first bear encounter not in a car - pretty cool! 

The hardest part of the week - carrying the bags up to the cabin. Four adults and two children take a lot of stuff for a week of cabin camping....

The last stairs up to the cabin. 
Echo Lakes from Rawlston Peak on a short hike that Stian and I did one day. The left lake is Upper Echo and the right lake is Lower Echo. The cabin is on Lower Echo. 

Uncle Stian feeding little Finn.

Stian and I on a hike to lake Aloha and beyond. This was our "long" hike of the trip and was beautiful, if a little hot. I'd never been beyond Aloha, so it was great seeing some of the other lakes around. 

Paddling the canoe on Echo Lake - Nonno, Finn, Nicola and Bella. 

4 comments:

kmw said...

Great photos and enjoyed your bear story. Was it bear to the left or bear to the right? DW

Anonymous said...

Rhian,

What a lovely reminder of a fantastic week! Oh, I wish we were still there. How quickly time flies by. Your photos are wonderful! I love the steps and the 2 lakes--I haven't seen either them quite this way before.

Nicola said...

great photos. i am so wishing i were back there! but i have to correct you. all that crap was for 5+ adults (the plus being M for part of the time). yes, i know, the 2 kids were so exhausting, it was hard to remember that we outnumbered them by that many! :)

RGW said...

right bearing only.....!

The kids were great, made echo 'echo'.....but then I have never been there without kids.....:0) So much fun, thanks again for taking me!