Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ug week

I would say thank god it's friday tomorrow, but that really has no bearing on my weekend, it's still going to be filled with work work and more work (though admittedly also a delicious Bogarts bfast on saturday with Olivia, and a swim with Jenny and Hannah on sunday, so I can't really complain too hard). 

I've been writing two proposals to go back to the Antarctic (I am now officially on "soft money", meaning I have to bring in 100% of my salary through proposals and teaching) and I really can't wait until they are in. Except it doesn't stop there, after they go in, I have two more to submit to the next deadline........and two papers to write........and a job to find.......not to mention lab work to do..........

One good thing (I think) though, I picked up some more teaching for the fall - i'm moving onto teaching undergrads (I've only taught grad students up until now) - which should be both fun, and a way to keep employed for a little longer. Unfortunately this is only to the tune of 2 months of salary, but every little helps, i'm now solid through May next year. Now just to find another 20 years worth.........

So my ways to get a little relaxation everyday? Everyday I water my garden and take a good look at how it's changed day by day. From the "weed" fern at the top there (which I have been told I should pull), to my fruits and vegetables below. To me they're all beautiful and relaxing, even in 5 minutes a day. 

Time to repot and separate the baby tomatoes. The bigger plants (still alive from last year and repotted and fertilized) now have flowers - mmmmm, cherry tomatoes are my favourite! 

The papaya leaves are now over my head! To think not that long ago they were less than knee high.....

Mint, the miracle plant. A house in the valley has a whole carpet of mint in their front yard, when I run by there, I like to brush up against it and get a little pick-me-up as i'm lagging. 

2 comments:

bsa said...

Sounds like a full weekend! I am so impressed with your workout schedule!

Re ferns: Truly they can take over so be sure you really want it/them before you leave them. they are so much easier to remove when small. When little ferns started emerging at the bottom edge of our planters (where the soil leaked onto the flagstone) in the back garden, I thought they were so cute--now I am trying to dig them out because they occupy so much space!

Nicola said...

i just wanted to give you a virtual hug. and ug hug.
and...ummm...i can't remember...(pea brain here) did we sponsor you for your run yet?