Monday, October 6, 2008

Bye Bye Baby


Stian is off to Antarctica today, off to the ice of McMurdo for 2 months, which means i'm not going to get to talk to him for a while. Hopefully we'll have email contact for a few weeks before he heads to camp out on the ice, but after that it's probably nothing for quite a while. I miss him when he goes, even though i've already not seen him for over 3 weeks, I still get to talk to him most days when he's on land. There's just something about being able to talk to someone on the phone that I like, email is fantastic for keeping in contact, but being able to call when i'm down, having a bad day, or even having a good day, makes me feel good. 

I often have gasps of disbelief over how much we see each other (or don't), but you know what, it's okay, and I think it works because I go to sea too. I love going to sea and always want to go to sea (and on fieldwork) for the rest of my life, it's not something i'm prepared to give up, and i'm actually really happy being with someone who knows that and does so themselves. We're also two pretty independent people (Stian more than I, but I like my space too), so I often think we'd drive each other crazy if we didn't go away sometimes. This year has been a little hard on me, as combined with his eye surgeries, Stian has been concentrating on trying to buy some land in CA, which means the only times i've seen him has been on the boats, or when i've visited (which with my work is not easy to pull off), but i'm really happy he's pushing that forward, and can't wait to see what he ends up with and hopefully hanging out wherever it might be soon. It's also been a fairly good year to do that too - sharing two cruises and I was so happy he came on the Italy trip and it looks like we'll meet up in NZ after this ice adventure - so it's worked out just great. 

So have a great time on the ice baby, i'm excited at this McMurdo trip, doing something a little different and kicking ass at it i'm sure! 


1 comment:

Nicola said...

made me laugh out lous at the screen. wasn't sure if that was S or tom cruise from top gun! you making fun of M's ray bans? LOL