Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

My new crop of lettuce. I'm still tucking into my old crop which is now all in the fridge. Lettuce doesn't grow so well here, too hot my garden guru tells me.....

A bonus in the hedge behind grodnick.....Surinam Cherries. These turn bright red when ripe. I haven't tasted one yet, kinda hoping they don't taste like cherries....they're very pretty whatever the case......

The peas are growing tall.....

As are the papaya trees......going to have to spread them out, they're crowding one another! 

Tomatoes, ready for repotting into larger pots, cucumber in the background too, they're doing really well! 

Thai Watermelon.....I can't tell you how excited i'll be if these take off.....seeds from a melon from the farmers market....woo hoo! 



3 comments:

Nicola said...

oh, awesome! where are your seeds from? my first lettuce seeds, from DW and KMW did fabulously, but nothing since has done well!

RGW said...

They were just from a garden store. My previous ones didn't do well either and that was a different packet. Cl from Woods Hole told me lettuce just doesn't like it too hot - I always had soooooo much lettuce growing so quickly on the cape, it's always confused me how it's just so slow to grow here!

DDdd said...

We had two papayas that sprouted out of Dan's compost heap... but alas the last two nights of frost has done them in. I guess papayas weren't meant for D.C. winters... or anything else in left in our garden. :-(