Thursday, October 2, 2008

Slam dunk......

This week's stress (and let's face it, stress for the last 2 weeks) has been a department seminar I was giving today. I'm not a "talker". It doesn't come naturally to me to stand up in front of 100 people and tell them how wonderful I am and how my work is the best ever. And I usually have dreams for a good 2 weeks in advance of me standing up there and then realising I forgot to put any pictures in my powerpoint. I was talking about my antarctic work, and mainly some results I got on tuesday using the Scanning Electron Microscope. Basically i'm damn lucky my larvae did what I wanted them to do in the experiment and that the SEM was working this week.

But it went well today! Did my voice waver, yes it did, as usual. But I did get into it, got everything across, no-one fell asleep, had a few laughs in there, and lots of interested questions at the end. 

That my friends, is a slam dunk for me. Can I have a beer now??


a happy antarctic coral larvae

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two beers and a double single malt scotch are definitely warranted!

Congratulations--and sleep well!

DDdd said...

Definitely warrants a beer or two... dunno about the scotch. Where's the SEM picture? Or is that posting highly sensitive data? :-) Well done.

BTW... I thought it was about time for some one to complain about my lack of posts.

RGW said...

Nature paper don't you know......well in my dreams maybe.....but even posting it on my blog could screw it up, so worth waiting until I get a rejection letter.......of course I have to actually write it and submit it before they can reject me.....:0)

Yup, since I check your blog everyday, eventually even I would notice it hasn't changed since mid september!

Nicola said...

you go, girl! and the soap you sent S is amazing. how come we don't do those kinds of projects (never had you teach me crochet, either) when you are here?