Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A day at the Gecko race

A full day. A day that reminds me how to be a good scientist, all be it by seeing those that are not. Thats probably not fair. They may be good, or even great, scientists, but if they can't play well with others what's the point? If you're doing science for personal glory, you're really in the wrong business (who wants to be Bob Ballard anyway?), and you'll have so much more fun doing science with others. It's so easy to trust people and get burnt. 

Enough on that subject. 

And on to others. I keep meaning to take a photo of my lab to show it all up and running. Must remember to do that tomorrow. It's been a good day mostly, got some more samples into wax for processing, even sliced a few slides. Finally finished sorting, cataloging and putting away all the samples from the last three cruises, that was a bear - they were all in formalin and had to be transfered to alcohol. I actually don't mind it, I love looking through sample jars and deciding what to work on next and I just love looking at all the weird and wonderful creatures that come from the deep ocean. I'm starting to think about the next cruise already (Feb '09), putting in proposals to get me $$ to stay and looking for jobs all at the same time. 

Some good phone calls today - my long lost pal Kristen K called and we might even bump into one another next week which would be awesome! And Stian just gave me a surprise phone call - yay! So nice to hear his voice again, he's super busy getting the equipment built for the project, and off to snow school for 2 nights tomorrow, that sounds like a lot of fun, but I guess is the serious business of staying alive on the ice. I had a two minute conversation with him last night for the first time since he left, so it was an amazing surprise to get a long phone call in tonight. Made a fantastic end to the day!

AND - I went for a 30 minute run tonight. The first run i've done in well over a year (I would say closer to 2). My spirit feels great for it, my body is aching (particularly my butt, which I guess means it needed it!). 

So I guess I really should have called this post "random collections from RGW's brain", but instead it's named after both my 'rat race' type day, and that one of my geckos is doing laps around Grodnick's ceiling this evening. And here he/she/it is. 


2 comments:

K-Way said...

Lets make it a personal goal not to let self-centered, ego-absorbed people get in our way of doing great science!!!

Anonymous said...

What a newsy entry! So glad you heard from Stian. I am eager to hear about snow school!